MANAGEMENT SKILLS FOR SECRETARIES, PERSONAL ASSISTANTS, ADMINISTRATORS INCLUDING PROTOCOL & ETIQUETTE
Develop Your Office and Management Skills and Become A First-Class Administrative Professional
Top 3 Learning Objectives:
1. Discover practical tools and techniques that will help you manage your workload and relationships more successfully and improve productivity
2. Explore strategies to reduce conflict and learn to deal effectively with difficult situations and people
3. Provide a high level of administrative support by enhancing your ability to manage change, plan and coordinate workflow, and build an effective team
Management assistants and professional secretaries are struggling with an ever-increasing workload, in jobs
considered among the most difficult, both in the private and public sectors. This unique workshop has been
specifically designed for those competent workers to obtain current knowledge and competencies in the practice
of this demanding profession. The focus is on practical skills, tools and techniques to improve productivity, build
a winning team with management and peers, and maximize value to your organization.
Your position means that you are more than ever before part of the managerial structure of your organisation –
involved in change, managing tight time schedules, negotiating with figures inside and outside the
organisation and dealing tactfully with a range of difficult situations. Also, more responsibilities are being
added to your workload.
- Identify your own style of management and communication
- Define and sharpen your time management skills for increased personal effectiveness
- Pinpoint the main drivers of change and develop strategies for facilitating the change process within your role
- Negotiate effectively and successfully in a variety of situations
- Handle conflict constructively
- Plan, evaluate, implement and follow projects through to completion
- Identify and face the challenges of your changing role within your organisation resolutely and competently
Who should attend?
- Administrative Clerks
- Personal Assistants
- Events Organizers
- Bahamas 26th – 30th July 2021 @ Nassau Palm Hotel
- USA Miami 2nd – 6th August 2021 @ SLS Brickell Downtown Miami
- UAE Dubai 22nd – 26th August 2021 @ Radisson Blu Hotel Dubai Waterfront
- Kenya Nairobi 23rd – 27th August 2021 @ Radisson Blu Hotel, Nairobi Upper Hill
- South Africa Johannesburg 23rd – 27th August 2021 @ The Capital Hotel
- Sydney Australia 20th – 24th September @ Crowne Plaza Sydney Darling Harbour
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION
- The executive secretary profession
- The secretary’s role in workplace
- Necessary skills and abilities
- Attitudes towards your role
- The Boss-PA relationship
MODULE 2 : BUILDING THE FOUNDATION FOR CAREER EXCELLENCE
- Removing barriers to professional growth
- How to set personal and business goals: practical tests
- How to negotiate and resolve goal conflicts
- Maximizing opportunity and visibility
- How to achieve balance and fully enjoy life
MODULE 3: OFFICE ROMANCE
- Is it appreciated?
- Is it appropriate?
- What are the downsides?
- What are the upsides?
- What you need to do?
MODULE 4: SEXUAL HARASSMENT
- Different forms sexual harassment can take in the workplace
- Different types of sexual harassers
- Sexual Harassment reporting procedures
- Differences between friendly behavior and sexually harassing behavior
MODULE 5: DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT
- Defining Diversity in the Workplace
- Understanding the concept of diversity
- Exploring the difference between diversity & equal opportunities
- Identifying the impact of diversity on your business
- Best practice for a diverse working environment
- Identifying how diversity benefits the organisation, both directly and indirectly
- The effect of diversity on organisational behaviour
MODULE 6: UNDERSTANDING CHANGE MANAGEMENT
- Management in a changing business environment and the effect on managing people at work
- Looking at the effect of change on the individual
- Overcoming resistance to change
- Identifying the change curve
- Plotting your position on the change curve
- Strategies for the fast pace of change
MODULE 7: CONFLICT MANAGEMENT
- Defining Conflict
- Conflict generation exercise
- Definition of conflict
- Causes of conflict at work and socially
- Finding common ground
- Stages in Conflict
- Establishing the 5 stages of conflict
- How can we stop conflict escalating?
- Changing our understanding of the situation
- Personal Conflict Handling
- How others view our conflict handling style
- Using the styles to minimise conflict
- Conflict Management Techniques
- Reviewing our current conflict situations
The need to become more assertive
MODULE 8: STRESS MANAGEMENT
- The Effect of Stress on Physical Health and Well-being
- How much Stress is too much Stress?
- Where does Stress Come from?
- What are the Common Signs of Stress?
- What Type of People are more Prone to Stress?
- What can Management do to Minimise Stress at Work?
- Become aware of your stressors, and your emotional and physical reactions to them
- Recognise what you can change
- Reduce your emotional reactions to stress
- Learn to moderate your physical reactions to stress
- Build your physical reserves
- Develop healthy eating habits
MODULE 9: EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
- Demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the principles and concepts of emotional intelligence in respect of life and work relations.
- Analysing the role of emotional intelligence in interpersonal and intrapersonal relationships in life and work situations.
- Analysing the impact of emotional intelligence on life and work interactions.
- Evaluating own level of emotional intelligence in order to determine development areas.
MODULE 10: NEGOTIATION SKILLS
- Looking at different styles
- Identifying one’s individual style
- Recognising different types of power
- Negotiating for win-win
- How to deal with difficult people
- Defusing strained situations
- Identify basic conflict strategies
- Recognise and tackle barriers
- Using your skills to overcome barriers
MODULE 11: CONTRACT MANAGEMENT
- Understand the ”offer and acceptance” process of reaching agreement on the contract terms
- Be confident that you are operating under a legally binding contract
- Appreciate fully what has been agreed between the contracting parties and what the
legal obligations and responsibilities of each are
- Recognise the allocation of risk between the contracting parties
- Realise what the consequences will be if either party do not comply with the contract
and fail to satisfy their legal obligations
- Grasp the importance of being proactive in: establishing a project plan; monitoring
work and progress; and managing risk
MODULE 12: PROTOCOL VS ETIQUETTE
- Do you know that Protocol has Greek origins, meaning first glue?
- Who started with protocol?
- Do you know that etiquette began in the French royal courts in the 1600s and 1700s?
- Do you ever confuse protocol with etiquette?
- Do you know how and when to separate them?
MODULE 13: HOW TO FLY THE NATIONAL FLAG
- Do you know where the flags originated from?
- Why does every country have a flag?
- What if you fly the flag upside down, what does that signify?
- Did you know that the flag in your office or manager’s office is supposed to be on his/her right hand side?
MODULE 14: HONORIFICS AND TITLES FOR OFFICIALS
- Do you address an individual or the office they hold?
- How to do address the President, Ministers, Mayor e.t.c?
- Where do you address an Honorary Doctor …should it be anywhere or at specific occasions?
- Do you present the person with lower authority to the one in higher authority or vise versa?
- Did you know that “Honorable” should be used before an elected official’s name, not title?
MODULE 15: SEATING ARRANGEMENTS
- Does the guest sit on the left or right hand side of the host?
- Where does the interpreter sit?
- How do you arrange the other tables?
- What if a councilor brings four uninvited guests and insists on sitting with them on a
table designated for others?
- Where do you place the floor plan?
- Should you share it with security?
- How do place cards work?
- Should spouses sit next to each other or opposite?
- How about the security personnel and the drivers…where do they sit ?
- On which side of the back seat of the car does the VIP sit?
- How about the spouse and the security guards?
- Do you know the origins of toasting?
- When do you propose a toast?
MODULE 16: DINING ETIQUETTE
- What to order and how much to order when invited?
- Do I use the eating utensils from the inside out of vice versa?
- Do you place the napkin on your lap or around your neck like a baby feeder?
- If the utensils fall what should you do?
- Do drink from the left or from the right?
- If you are leaving a table what etiquette is expected?
- Should you use the toothpick on the table?
MODULE 17: INTERNATIONAL CULTURAL ETIQUETTE
- Meeting and Greeting
- Names and Titles
- Body Language
- Corporate Culture
- Dining and Entertainment
- Presentation and Receive of Gifts
$600 ONLINE TRAINING
Includes course material, and online support
$ 2500 5 DAYS IN-CLASS TRAINING
Includes lunch, refreshments and course material